Monday, January 21, 2008

We Shall Overcome

A year ago, before treatment 9, I quit seeing a shrink and joined a gospel choir. I had wanted to join a choir for a while after attending a couple services at Glide in San Francisco. There's something deeply satisfying about singing in parts and I hoped it would bring me some joy. The Joyful Voices of Inspiration aren't affiliated with a church or even any specific religion, they just love to sing gospel music and I have enjoyed singing with them over the past year. We sang at a Martin Luther King Service yesterday in Andover. The service included Christian scripture, Jewish prayers, a Hindu reading, and stories from the Koran. The audience was just as wonderfully diverse. This is my kind of church and gives me hope for the world. The service ended, of course, with We Shall Overcome featuring our fantastic soloist Sharon Molden.

We shall overcome, we shall overcome,
We shall overcome some-day.
Oh deep in my heart, I do believe
We shall overcome some-day.

We'll walk hand in hand...
We shall all be free...
We shall live in peace...
The Lord will see us through...

Here's an audio clip (click twice):










Did you know Martin Luther King was only 39 when he died?

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:58:00 PM, Blogger Shelbitha said...

39? wow, no I didn't know that. An amazing young man. I guess that means that he made the "I have a dream" speech at 34? Wow. I love the audio too, it's great!

 
At Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, he was only 14 years older than I, which would make him only 78 years old todayif he had not been assignated. I still remember that dark day in 1968, a terrible year, in which Robert Kennedy was also assignated.

I loved your choir's rendition of "We Shall Overcome"!

Love, Dad

 
At Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the spelling of "assassinated". I wanted to post a correctection before Martha caught it!

Love, Dad

 
At Monday, January 28, 2008 5:39:00 PM, Blogger dog food sugar said...

Lilli that was lovely! How fun to be in a choir. Can't wait to see you all in a few weeks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home