Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Prayers answered

Before last year, I didn't really know anyone with cancer. This past May, the nephew of a friend from work - little Ethan who is 5 was diagnosed with a very rare form of leukemia and went through an extremely difficult bone marrow transplant, spending almost 5 months in the hospital. In July, my friend Amy was diagnosed with recurrent, relentless Hodgkins'. She had a stem cell transplant and was in the hospital for several weeks. September 10, Madeline, the 13 year old daughter of another friend from work was diagnosed with Leukemia and spent 40 days at Mass General. Just last week, Jennifer, a family friend who is just my age, was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Each of these diagnoses affected me deeply. I check all of their blogs and think about them every single day. I try to telepathically send them strength. They are all too young for this and I know some of the fear and pain that they and their families are enduring. I find some encouragement in knowing that I've just raised $13,000 to help fight cancer. Maybe it's working. This past weekend the last member on my prayer list was released from their lengthy stays at the hospital. They all still have a long road ahead of them and certainly each situation has its unique challenges, but for all of them their prognosis looks good. I am so, so glad.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lil - I know you have been a great comfort, as well as resource, for those you have mentioned here on your blog, probably for many others as well. As I read your post this week, I thought of a time when I was depressed and sharing with your grandmother everything that was "wrong" in my life (it all seems so insignificant now, in comparison). She was a good listener and very sympathetic, but I guess she didn't really know how to help me with my problems. The only advice she had for me was to go out and find others that I could help. Perhaps you weren't totally on your own in discovering what you're now executing, oh, so very well! You are, after all, her namesake, and she was always so proud of you . . . just as she would be now!
Love you, Karen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home