Tuesday, December 04, 2007

$366,402.22

While submitting my 2007 Health Savings Account receipts, I had an opportunity to add up how much having cancer cost to date (at least monetarily). The total for my medical claims covered by insurance came to $360,151.41 plus $490 that I paid in co-pays. Each chemo session ran between $12,000 and $20,000 depending on the drugs and shots I needed. Each of my 17 radiation sessions was $1007. My prescription drugs bill (not including the drugs I got at the Farber) was $5,087.92 plus co-pays of $672.89. So insurance paid a total of $365,239.33 and I paid co-pays totaling $1,162.89 for a grand total of $366,402.22 . Wow. Whatever you do, don't let your health insurance lapse.

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, December 05, 2007 1:33:00 PM, Blogger Martha Smith said...

You're worth every penny of that and more. We're so glad that it's working. Love, Mom

 
At Wednesday, December 05, 2007 4:30:00 PM, Blogger Shelbitha said...

wow! I estimated the cost of having a baby by c-section to be about $22,000 with about $1600 out of pocket for us. Sean's back surgery was about $12,000. cancer costs a lot! I have to do our health savings stuff now too for next year.

 
At Tuesday, December 11, 2007 11:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen SICKO? What an eye opener to hear about other health care systems...and be reminded about the sorry state of our own country's. Thank goodness you had insurance throughout all of this Lilli...and from how it sounds, REALLY good insurance. Take care cuz - love patti

 

Post a Comment

<< Home