Monday, November 20, 2006

Treatment 4

Treatment 4 is done. Dr. LaCasce was very impressed with my continually shrinking lymph nodes, and this time NO SHOTS! My White Blood Cell count was 24,000. The normal range is between 4,300 and 10,800 cells per cubic millimeter. So I’m virtually invincible now! (ha) I was very happy not to have another Neulasta shot because it sent shooting pains up my spine last Wednesday – bone pain is a side effect due to the body overproducing so many white blood cells. My red blood cells were up too, so I guess all that steak is working. Physically, I’ve been feeling pretty well in week 2 of the 2 week cycles. Right now I’m back to being tired after chemo, but I hope to be feeling normal again by Thanksgiving.

My sister Shelby was in town this weekend from Dallas, cooking up a storm and enjoying the last of the New England leaves. It was great to have her here keeping me company, and helping out with everything while I rest. Shel’s visit marks the 1/3 way mark for chemo treatments! Faithful David’s CD this time was simply titled Treatment 4 – “more music for more chemo…” how apt.

It’s now been a month and a half since the start of treatment, and bills are coming due. I have been very frustrated with Blue Cross Blue Shield. Daily “Explanation of Benefits” letters haunt my mail box and scare me because I they never seem to explain anything and claim very large amounts. I guess this is just one of the many things that stink about being sick. It has been made especially vexing due to local TV ads about a young breast cancer survivor from Cambridge MA, Isabel, who was treated so well by her personal representative at Blue Cross Blue Shield – certainly not the case for me so far. I know I’m lucky to have health insurance at all, but it appears that they are denying my port surgery and might not cover some other costs and I can’t even get someone to call me back with a reasonable answer as to why not. Thank you David for TiVO so I can at least fast forward over those ads for now.

8 Comments:

At Monday, November 20, 2006 7:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lil, don't let the health insurance papers bother you. In my experience it mostly gets sorted out somehow behind the scenes. Do keep ALL the paperwork as you go and when you're back to glowing good health, figure it out then.
Healing prayers continue! Marjo

 
At Tuesday, November 21, 2006 12:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lilli,

Shrinking is good...keep it up! Everyone here is thinking about you.
The prayer lanes heavenward are jammed,

Love, Betsy

 
At Thursday, November 23, 2006 10:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope this Thanksgiving day finds you feeling comfortable and festive. I know you're surrounded by love. Prayers and blessings, Jenny

 
At Friday, November 24, 2006 6:36:00 PM, Blogger dog food sugar said...

Hi Lilli! We're thinking of you! Sending our most positive thoughts your way. I hope you had a fabulous Turkey day with la familia!

Take care! Love Kate

 
At Monday, November 27, 2006 10:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lilli
It's good to read the posts from you & your family; sorry it has to be over this. I know you know a lot of people are thinking of you & your family at this time --- just wanted you to know better that me & mine were among them. Hope you & yours had a Happy Thanksgiving; Best to you!
-
David Bruce (Hubbard) in Arlington

 
At Tuesday, November 28, 2006 1:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ugh - i remember the headaches over insurance when Lidia had cancer last spring. are there any case managers or patient advocates at dana farber to help you navigate? i didn't understand a lick of it, but there were some people at georgetown hospital who did.
rooting for you, as always.

 
At Saturday, December 02, 2006 9:50:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lilli,
I'm a later arrival to your blog, but I and your many Cherrydale friends have continued to keep you in our prayers. (Betsy is right about gridlock in the prayer lanes -- but they all get to God on time!)
You're so blessed to be surrounded by so many loving and positive people. Your family is a treasure beyond words, I know.
I hope this holiday season will bring a unique and welcome perspective on love to you all.

Grace and peace, Larry Buxton

 
At Monday, December 04, 2006 12:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad your doing well and that your counts are up. We'll have to chat sometime this week!
-Sonya

 

Post a Comment

<< Home