Treatment 2
Treatment 2 was much better than the first time. The dream team of Dana Farber experts that I'd hoped for has materialized and is helping me figure out how to better manage side effects from many angles. Stephanie the nutritionist gave me some key, empowering nutrition tips, nurse Barbara battled the insurance companies for me to get me the right drugs at the right price, and Dr.LaCasce was stunned and very pleased at the amount that my lymph nodes have shrunk already (she also complemented me on my shoes!). My dear brother David came up for the weekend from Miami and he and Adam kept me laughing the whole afternoon of the treatment. My second mother, Judith Morris, arrived from DC on Friday and gave me some valuable information on diet and coping tips that she'd developed during her own fight with cancer. Lisa Cohan, who was rowing in the Head of the Charles on Saturday, came by for lunch and spread sunshine with her firecracker personality. Nora Foster and dear little Evan also stopped by with soup which was great to have on hand with so many visitors!
I am definitely not looking forward to the next step of side effects which is most likely going to be losing some or all of my hair, but even here, sometimes you just have to laugh through some of the pain. Dave and I kind of thought we looked like twins when he donned my new hair piece (to be worn with hat). My stomach hurt Thursday night, but more from laughing than from any drugs.

Here are more details from David's perspective:
Saturday, October 21, 2006
So far, so good. Lil's second treatment went smoothly and she appears to be coping pretty well. She's waiting for the other shoe to drop when substantial fatigue sets in a few days after the chemo but her energy level is still high as of Saturday evening.
A couple of good things came to light on Thursday that should have positive long-term effects. First, the port that they inserted into her chest shaves a significant amount of time off the treatment. Lil did experience some discomfort when they stuck a line into it for the first time; but that was offset when her nurse, Melissa, told her it shouldn't really hurt and was lightning quick at swapping out different drip bags, syringes, and needles. She can draw a vial of a blood sample in about two seconds from the port.
Second, Lil's blood work revealed that she was mildly anemic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anemia), which helps explain some of her lack of energy. Her red blood cell count was a 28 when it should have been a 35. Fortunately, Dr. LaCasce had a remedy: a booster shot, which Melissa administered immediately after the chemo treatment.
Last, and probably most important, a nutritionist, Stephanie, came by to counsel Lil about how to manage her diet during chemo to help alleviate the side effects. Here are some important factors that Lil needs to be aware of:
- Water. Apparently, chemo leaves your body dry as a bone. For example, Lil wakes up with cotton mouth in the middle of the night and again in the morning. The medical professionals agree: it is virtually impossible for Lil to drink too much water, and she should be hydrating constantly.
- Vegetables. Lil needs at least 5 servings of approved vegetable a day. Much like water, there is really no upper limit on the amount of vegetables Lil consumes. Vegetables have the added benefit of containing phytonutrients, our new buzzword. Apparently, plants themselves have internal immune systems and, when a human eats them, he or she benefits from the added immunity. Since the chemhas weakeneded Lil's immune system, the phytonutrients found in vegetables can be instrumental in helping to rebuild her body's defenses. Some examples of plant-based foods on the phytonutrient list: asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, okra, apples, mango, cranberries, cilantro, garlic, flax seeds, soy...
- Protein. Stephanie says that, since Lil's body needs to be regenerating cells that are destroyed by the chemo, her nutritional needs are equivalent to those of a high-performance athlete (which is a positive spin on things that Lil appreciated). Therefore, consuming an elevated level of protein is of the utmost importance. Protein-rich foods should also help with anemia and iron-deficiency. Normally, Lil should be eating about 46 grams of protein per day. Now, however, she needs 58-70 grams. On Thursday evening, we made a big meal of steak and vegetables which was right up my alley! And last night, she ate a whole haddock at a restaurant; tonight we doubled-down on the steak. For protein-rich snacks, she can supplement with things like yogurt, soy milk, flaxseed, soy protein powder etc.
- Spices. Lil finds just about anything spicy irritating, primarily because the cells that line her mouth and esophagus have perished in the chemo. She gets horrible hearburn with too much acid or spiciness. Therefore, she needs to eat relatively bland, uncomplicated, digestible foods.
Having all of this detailed information is very empowering for Lil. She now feels like she has a measure of control over her side-effects and, as a result, her overall physical well-being and comfort. Her friends and family can help by suggesting recipes and preparing meals rich in lean protein and vegetables, and devoid of spices, fat, starch, and sugar (cancer loves sugar). Some days, she is going to be too tired to prepare a meal, but she still needs to be constantly vigilant about her water, vegetable, and protein intake. So having something diet-compliant that she just has to microwave would be very helpful.

12 Comments:
Hi Lilli,
Yours is the very first blog I've ever read! It's great to be able to find out at any time, how you're doing with the treatments and the progress being made. And of course, seeing David in your hairpiece is a rare and remarkable treat!
I'm sorry it's Hodgkins you're blogging about, but I know all will be well when you've finished the eight months. Then you can blog about more trips and other adventures! We're all thinking of you, and sending good vibes your way,
Love, Betsy
love that picture! thanks for a fabulous lunch on friday - sorry i talked so much! wonderful to see you both. xoxoxo
Dear Lil, I feel like my grandkids - using a blog! This is our first time and I admit it is fun.
We are so glad that things are going well for you. It is wonderful news that the nodes are getting smaller - we hope they will soon be gone.
I will look through my recipes and see what I can send that it good and spice free. We love spices so have few recipes that are mild.
We are praying for you!!!
Andrea and Chet Davis
I love the picture too!
Willy and I have been thinking of you!
-Kate
Hi Lilli,
Remember me - It Jet! I have been reading about your treatment. As we all have been getting older, I was wondering which one of my friends would be diagnosed with cancer. I am sorry it was you. The way I think about it is...its not the question - "Will I get cancer?, it is the question - What cancer will I get and can I beat it? I just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you.
Love, Jeanette
PS. I have never seen David before, so a when I saw the picture of him for the first time, I thought - WOW - they have the same hair.........
Hi Lilli,
My daughters (Katrina, 9 and Eliza, 6) take piano from your wonderful mother, and I thought I'd check out your blog to keep up with how you're doing. It sounds like your enthusiasm and energy for tackling the cancer are great. I have recently signed up for "Meals that Heal" through our church, St. Mary's in Arlington, and we will be cooking for a single woman going through chemo for the next 6 months (!), so I will think of you often. The diet information David posted in this blog will help me make appropriate, and hopefully tasty, food for her. Hang in there, knowing that people you don't even know are rooting for you!
Best,
Kristine Johnson
Arlington, VA
Hi Lilli,
Our daughter Diana is your mother’s piano student and we always hear Mrs. Smith talk about you and we saw your wonderful blog lillinasia which brought a lot of memories from our past. We all hope you will smoothly go through your treatment with your very strong spirit and the support from your friends, especially from your family. These days we have been seeing your mother and entire family are experiencing each step of your medical treatment and helping you to go through this unusual journey. What Diana said to us about this is “Mrs. Smith’s family is so perfect”. Yes, we truly believe that their support will make miracles happen.
We like your blog very much and it is very unique to share your experiences with everyone who really cares about you.
We are praying for you and thinking of you, five months will be gone quickly and by the time when all the spring flowers start blooming, you’ll be the new Lilli and turn your picture straight up…
Best wishes!
Emanuel, Shirley and Diana
Hi Lilli:
Jeanette sent me your email. Like Betsy Jones, this is the first blog I have read or written. Well... I wrote one a minute ago but lost it when I checked back to make sure I had David's name correct. That picture of you and him in your wig is hilarious! He sounds like a wonderful man and support.
I am so sorry you have to travel this detour in your young life. You WILL be back on track once your treatment is ended. Patience is a necessity.
As you may remember I was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer with a survival rate of possibly 18 months. That was 10 years. I thank the 10 rounds of chemo, 36 weeks of radiation, a mastectomy, and a marvelous support group held at the old Arlington Hospital. I lost my hair twice and was always tickled when someone complimented me on my hair style - there are days now I miss that ole wig!
In the support group were 3 others with Hodgekins. They too had stories like yours and are alive and well today. So just take each day - each hour - as it comes knowing that treatment will end and you will be back to enjoying traveling and working and just living without feeling lousy due to the chemo. We can be thankful there are treatments for cancer.
You're in my prayers.
Love, El
Hi Lilli! I'm glad your second treatment went well. I just wanted to send you a message to let you know that I was thinking about you and will call you this week.Thankfully mid-term's are over and I have more time now. Talk with you sonn, and Happy Halloween!
Lil- I have been thinking of you so much lately. Thank you for so courageously sharing your journey with all of us. I have just had to cancel a last-minute trip up to Cambridge next week - is there any chance I could see you? Not sure how you're feeling about visitors right now. I'll be staying around Harvard, but have some availability Thursday and Friday. xoxo, Kirsten
Dear Lilli,
You have a wonderful family....WOW!You never cease to amaze me. I am sad that you are challenged with cancer but I am glad that you are in good hands and that you will recupereate in a few weeks. Are you planning your next trips? Where in the world have you not been? Good luck with your next treaments! Thank you for sharing your life with us. You're the best! Love, Claire
Dear Lilli,
My journey through parts of China was wonderful! thank you Martha for recommending River Town! I feel like I've been to Fuling. I thoroughly enjoyed Peter Hessler's writing on the Schezaun province. What a great time I had reading this book. I am now reading "Glass Castle" by J. Walls. A friend of mine met the author and was very impressed with her. Lilli, do you want this book? I would gladly mail it to you. CVS
Post a Comment
<< Home