Treatment 3
The steep learning curve has leveled off; the side effects are starting to feel familiar. Hair is falling out of my head as fast as leaves are falling off the trees. Reality is setting in that this will be a long hard winter. I keep trying to remind myself that spring will come! My dear, dedicated mom came up from DC again on Thursday morning and it was great to see her and hear her tell me that I hadn’t changed too much in a month. David continued his music therapy series with a CD of songs about beauty to remind me to think beautiful thoughts through whatever “hairy” problems I encounter. How he can continue to make me laugh (or at least smile/groan) through this incredibly torturous part of cancer treatment is beyond me. Treatment 3 started off with a long, long wait – the traffic at Dana Farber is unbelievable – too many sick people, too few infusion chairs. Adam postulates that it’s partially because treatments work so well these days; I love his positive outlook and patience in waiting with me. Once we finally got going, the nurses were still incredibly caring and compassionate and the port made the treatment go very fast, so I really can’t complain. Mom was disappointed that Dr. LaCasce was on vacation and couldn’t appreciate her newly polished shoes, but Nurse Barbara seemed to aptly handle my care. She was encouraged to see that the nodes are continuing to shrink, although there is still some lymphedema due to the swollen node under my left arm. This time, my red blood cells were up but my white blood cells were lower than “lowish” so a she prescribed a Neulasta shot as well as a red blood cell shot and a flu shot….I’m really getting to be an expert at tolerating shots. Unfortunately these types of shots can’t go in the port because they need more time to disperse into the body. Thursday night, what I call the “grip” feeling of the anti-nausea meds (there are 5 different drugs!) returned in full force. While somewhat uncomfortable, I’m very glad that cocktail seems to work.
Friday, Mom and I took it easy, worked on our lap tops, and were very glad to hear that my Uncle Joe had come through heart surgery in Cleveland with a promising prognosis. He and my Aunt Karen have had a lot on their plates recently, and it’s so good to hear some good news come their way.
I am very thankful that my day to day side effects still seem to be limited to fatigue and a general low grade stomach ache – it definitely could be much worse. That said, it’s sometimes difficult to know my limits. Saturday Mom and I got up early and went to yoga and the grocery store. Then we went in to the Farber for the Neulasta shot and met up with Adam for lunch. After that we did some shopping, went to the beauty salon, and then met Adam and 4 friends for dinner. This is a normal Saturday for me, unfortunately nothing is normal now and I was almost a puddle by 9:30pm when we finally got home. I quickly melted into some new red, purple and orange flannel pajamas from some sweet friends who know me well and blissfully slept quite well. I am very glad that I’ve been sleeping better lately – sleep doesn’t always come easy these days, especially with “the grip”. Sunday I slept a good part of the day while Mom experimented with my new slow cooker and today I am still extremely exhausted and achy from the Neulasta. I continue to receive messages, cards, recipes, gifts and caring phone calls at the most appropriate moments. This week, I received a prayer shall from an 80 year old woman – a friend of the mother of a colleague who is part of a knitting ministry that works prayers into each stitch….what a beautiful gift. Thank you all for being there for me, it all means so much to me.

12 Comments:
Oh, Lilli, you are inspiring. You probably don't realize that you are giving your family and friends an opportunity to love you with a depth that they never have experienced before. I am awed by your wonderful approach to this unexpected and unwanted chapter in your life. Your laughs are great medicine for you and everyone around you. You have lots of love and prayers coming your way from our family. I've never used a blog before so I'll just sign here! Love, Suzanne
I love you Lil, hair or no hair, cancer or not, and I'm looking forward to coming to see you. See, Treatment 3 hopefully means you are 1/4 of the way done :)
I could not have described Treatment 3 any better. Lilli continues to be brave and upbeat. As one of Adam's friends inquired on Saturday, "Do you feel as good as you look?" We can only hope so. Because Lilli is divesting herself of spices, I brought home a couple of bottles of Chinese spices that set off alarms at Logan airport security. There's a treasure trove of Indian spices up for grabs, but you'd better pack them in clear plastic bags! Lilli's aerobed is SO comfortable--and Maple Avenue is very quiet. I get my best sleep there. Except for overdoing it on Saturday, we kept a slow pace and enjoyed watching such DVD's as "Akeelah and the Bee" and "The World According to Sesame Street," great movies for all ages. Much love and many thanks to all Lil's supporters. Martha/Mom
another beautifully written and inspiring post. thinking of you every day!
Hi Lilli---
Scott & I have been keeping up with you from afar through your blog entries. Thank you so much for setting up this blog to share your experiences regarding your treatments. Your tenacity and fortitude is inspiring! When I found out about your diagnosis I was shocked of course. But then I started thinking...we come from some pretty hardy stock. I realized this when I gave birth to Vivian back in August. She was birthed naturally after a quick 4 hours. Thru that experience, I found I had an inner strength that I never knew I had. And while my giving birth can no way equate all that you're having to go through right now, I tell you this because I think it bears mentioning that the women in this family are SO STRONG! Look at your Mom...and her Mom, my namesake Grandma Patti. And I know that you are strong too. A reading of your blog entries is evidence of that. Anyway, your Texas peeps are praying for your health and happiness - we think of you quite often! I hope you'll get to meet the newest addition to our family soon, until then, I'll send ya pics via email. Take care & much love, Cousin Patti
Just count the twelve letters, you'll soon climb to the Top of the World
Lilli
* Kiss
** Joy
*** I have seen the dawn of the victory
**** Health
***** Gratitude
****** Faith
******* Encouragement
********* Determination
********** Challenge
*********** Belief
************ Appreciation
Hi Lil, it must be almost four years since our thanksgiving (my unique thanksgiving!) in south carolina. The trivia games, the story of tur-duck-en (was that delivered by David?), and beach walks may be daft memories but they are what I remember well and I’m glad you were there. Best wishes for the treatment and all that’s to come,
Joe
Lilli-
You are going to beat Hodgkins and this will all be over before you know it. Thank you for sharing your story with us... you are so inspiring. Life is going to be a sweeter adventure when this is all over. We think of you everyday and say a prayer for you.
XOXO
Catherine and all the Youngs/Nelsons/Starrs/Menards
Lilli thank you again for writing your experiences and allowing me to feel close to you via your blog. Willy and I are thinking of you, inspired by you, crossing our fingers, sending you all the best vibes we can muster! I'm so glad David is there to make you laugh. That is such great medicine. I'm so glad you've got such great support from you fabulous mother and Adam and all those that love you.
love and good wishes,
cousin Kate
Lilli, Phew...#4 is over. Your mom and I are connected in a myraid ways -- piano, books, sharing, caring. Better than having a mother with an uncanny knack for seeing silver-linings must be having that resource within yourself. Your own voice of optimism comes through in "Treatment #3". I'm rooting for you.
This month's book, "A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains", has themes that might resonate. Our lady experiences rewards (or shall we say "silver-landings", seeing clearer and father than ever imagined) while struggling, persevering, and generally enduring plenty of inconvenience.
Hope, hope, hope...until #5.
Sharon Frey
Warmly,
Sharon
Hi Lillie,
You don't know me, but I think the world of your wonderful parents. I remember you from your Mother's birthday party at the church in March, 2004. I work at their church. Approximately once a month I have the priviledge of staying at their home for two nights. They can fill in on the details. I remember you from your Mother's birthday party at the church in March, 2004.
My wife and I attend a church on the Eastern Shore of MD and we are going too introduce you to the prayer chain at our church. Thank you for this blog and for sharing your story - you are so very inspiring. Think of you everyday and will continue to pray for you.
Gerry
Hey Lilli. You are amazing! Thank you for taking the time to write this blog so you can keep everyone who cares so much about you in the loop. You are an inspiration to everyone. I hope you and all of the other Smith family members have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Love,
Jessica (Beckwith) DeDomenico
Post a Comment
<< Home